INSTANT POT - BBQ BEEF
Updated: Oct 22, 2019
I decided to do something different for this post. I am posting one of my family's favorite Instant Pot recipes. I have a 1-minute video to help you through the whole thing. Please feel free to dive right into the video and head to the grocery store or Amazon Prime Now (You need a Amazon Prime membership to take advantage for Prime Now).
Here are some helpful hints about the Instant Pot. First, you are not alone that your first time using the Instant Pot can be scary. But no, the machine will not explode on you, just don't open it right after it finishes. Second, it does take time to "warm-up." So even though this recipe only is about 20 to 30 mins of cooking time, it takes an additional 5 to 10 mins for the pressure to build. The little red button will pop up and you will then be under pressure. At that time the count down will begin.
Side note: Yes, it will work if you forget to close the vent. I just did this the other day, dead serious. Everything still cooked but the bottom of the pan burnt a little. All was not lost, it still tasted great.
Here is the recipe for you to print out if you choose. Nowadays I bookmark pages on my phone and come back to them later. I will also email the link to myself and place the email in a "recipe" folder.
Please don't feel like you need to be exact with your measurements. If you are close, it will work out beautifully, and taste great. Additionally, this is an excellent Whole30 recipe if you use the right tomato paste. Pair it with my Vinegar coleslaw, and it makes a delicious meal.
- 3 LB OF BEEF CUT INTO LARGE CHUNKS
- 2 LARGE YELLOW ONIONS SLICED THIN
- 2 TABLESPOONS DIJON MUSTARD
- 2 TABLESPOONS APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- 2 TEASPOONS CHILI POWDER
- 2 TEASPOONS SMOKED PAPRIKA
- 2 TEASPOONS OREGANO
- 2 TEASPOONS GARLIC POWDER
- SALT AND PEPPER
- 1 CAN OF TOMATO PASTE
· TURN INSTANT POT ON SAUTE
· BROWN MEAT ON ALL SIDES IN INSTANT POT.
· TOSS ONIONS IN WITH MEAT WHILE BROWNING.
· WHISK ALL OTHER INGREDIENTS TOGETHER IN A SEPARATE BOWL
· POUR MIXTURE OVER THE MEAT AND ONIONS.
· MIX EVERYTHING ALL TOGETHER TO COAT THE MEAT
· CLOSE LID AND VENT AND SET PRESSURE COOKER TO HIGH.
· SET YOUR TIMER BETWEEN 20 TO 30 MINS.
· ONCE DONE AND IF TIME ALLOWS, LEAVE THE MACHINE AS IS AND THE STEAM WILL RELEASE SLOWLY. IF YOU ARE IN A RUSH YOU CAN USE THE QUICK RELEASE METHOD BY OPENING THE VENT.
· REMOVE THE MEAT AND SHRED IT.
· PLACE THE MEAT BACK IN AND MIX
If you don't have an Instant Pot, don't worry, you can do the same steps for a slow cooker. Brown the meat in a saucepan with the onions, then transfer everything to the slow cooker and mix with sauce. Set the timer for high - 4 to 5 hours, on low - 8+ hours.
You can freeze the meat or save it up to a week in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator. It's fantastic over pasta, spaghetti squash, baked potato, eggs, wrapped in a tortilla, or on a bun with my Vinegar Slaw.
If you have enjoyed reading this post or any of The Finney 411 blog posts, please share the love. Tell your friends, share your favorite blog post via Facebook or Instagram. Never miss a post by signing up for my mailing list and follow me on Instagram @thefinney411 for even more fantastic content. Remember, you are perfectly imperfect in every way!
Note: This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so I thank you for your support.